I’m just trying this out to see if this is a way to share emails. I want to share my thoughts on what the South Australian Premier has just promulgated. So here’s his email to me (to all of use) and my response.
Doesn’t look at the moment as though it is going to make a very good presentation on the paper. Hope it comes out better than it looks now in the editor.
Re: BREAKING: Increased restrictions from midnight
Tuesday, 20 July 2021, 8:16 am ACST
thank you for this.
I have a couple of observations. I take you welcome observations from the populace?
1. It is all deeply in error and imposes more harm than the virus would.
2. Example is ‘minimise impacts on business’. Quote me one example in the world where covid damaged business through employee absences rather than govt. damaged businesses overwhelmingly more in a myriad of ways?
3. ‘one chance to get it right’. This statement is nonsense without defining what ‘right’ is. What is it? Total eradication of Covid from the State? You can’t do that without total eradication from the nation. Total eradication from the nation? You can’t do that without
eradication from the world. Eradication from the world? You can’t do the while ever micro-organisms and mutations exist.
4. ‘Devastating lockdowns’. A Freudian slip, I think. Totally correct. DEVASTATING LOCKDOWNS. The lockdowns devastate.
There is an emergency, there is a terrible enemy and it is the government interventions.
5. Input. A total lack of any expression of desire for response, input, from the people. You do not inspire confidence in the government in me when you issue edicts like this.
6. Information. A total lack of any serious data, information. No graphs or charts or tables of data. Naturally. For world wide they show interventions only harm and virulence of the virus much, much less than hyped and never qualifying for ’emergency status’
7. emergency. Else if 6 were not true we’d have an ’emergency’ every second year. These things are part and parcel of being human.
8. In line with 6 and 7 you mention the Delphi variant in order to frighten but fail to mention the Delphi variant is good news as it manifests as an even less potent form of the virus.
Hence the virus is followed the predicted course on its way to endemic status.
9. You say ‘going hard and going early’ will be ‘challenging’ but gives ‘best chance’ of ‘protecting’ but this is entirely without data. ‘Best chance’ means least harm. You’ve nowhere given any evidence that your admitted hurting and harmful interventions will cause
less harm than the virus. My contention is that they will not. They will and do cause more.
10. Nowhere at all in your edict is there any mention whatever of any therapeutic measures. There is no evidence at all that you have any belief or any knowledge of anything at all that people can or could do to help themselves.
Yahoo Mail – Re: BREAKING: Increased restrictions from midnight
1 of 4
20/07/2021, 8:23 am
View this email in your browser
highly transmissible Delta strain, with multiple cases detected in our community
must take swift and decisive action
to keep South Australians safe,
minimise impacts on business, and
avoid the devastating lockdowns
We only have one chance to get this right.
So from midnight tonight, for five days, increased state-wide restrictions
will come into effect, including:
1 person per 4 square metre density limit
Outdoor seated consumption only of food and drinks
All non-essential retail stores to close
Masks required on public transport and rideshare
Personal care services not permitted
Indoor gyms/exercise facilities not permitted
A full list of restrictions and more information will be available shortly
I know these restrictions will be very challenging for many businesses and
individuals, but by going hard and going early, we are giving ourselves the
greatest chance to protect our community.
Our priority remains
keeping South Australians safe, the economy strong
and backing business
during these tough times.
Add us to your address book